Selected images from "Our House" project (Actual pieces are life-sized)

Monday, December 11, 2006

Arthur--Painter and Fortune Teller


This is a portrait of “Arthur” that I completed just two days ago (5x3 feet). Arthur is a homeless man who spends his time painting on wood and canvas. His pieces range from small (3x12 inches) to large (10x6 feet). His paintings are interesting, but I first got to know him when he had inherited an old set of tarot cards and was trying to make a few bucks telling fortune.

At the time, I wanted to learn how to read palms and tarot cards, so I thought I might learn a few things from him. I really don’t think he had much experience with tarot cards. The cards were just something he was given and he was mostly improvising with great sincerity. I didn’t learn anything useful but I did appreciate his effort and commitment in something he wasn’t well versed in. It was as if I were to pick up a deck of tarot and immediately set up a stall to tell fortune with no previous experience at all… Something I would never have the guts to do, and something I could never do a hundreth as well as he did. So I appreciated his flair and hustle.

Since that time, we have become friends. I have not interviewed him however. I just feel as if he’s the type of person who hides deep, personal feelings behind his jolly, cheerful exterior. I don’t feel like I’m at the point of being able to penetrate his facade. Perhaps one day I might… Then I will ask him to tell me his stories…

No comments: