Selected images from "Our House" project (Actual pieces are life-sized)

Monday, January 22, 2007

"Jaramiah"



This is a portrait of “Jaramiah.” Like Ed’s portrait below, this too is a darker image--not so much in the background, but in the figure itself. I darkened as much of the figure as I could, keeping the key areas light so the image still reads well.

Jaramiah is not homeless. He sells hair scarfs on the Venice Beach boardwalk. I want to include more people who are not homeless to the series, because the project is not about the homeless, it is about real people. It just so happens that I started out photographing and talking to the homeless because I felt they have more interesting lives; or, at least, lives that are more removed from my own experience. This photo also is printed in color; though the color saturation is highly muted.

No comments: