Selected images from "Our House" project (Actual pieces are life-sized)

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Variations in "Ed" piece


Just finished the portrait of “Ed” above. It’s the only the second half-body piece I’ve done for the series. (Previous pieces all show the entire body either standing or seated.) As part of the “variability/variation” aspect of the series, I want to make a few more partial-body pieces. There was another change up in this image, and that is the background was made darker instead of the usual high-key white. Visually, I find myself in a darker mood lately; and if the mood stays with me, I’ll be making more dark pieces. That the concept of the series allows me to follow my mood, and not a randomly forced style/guideline, is the freedom I’ve been looking for in doing my art. The freedom is satisfying, and true to the creative nature of our being that is forever fluid and changing. Being at one with the change comes through in the art I believe; and I feel a lot of photographic work do not follow with this flow/variation. (Note also that the background is done in an abstract/cubist style; also another change-up.)

No comments: